Adam Xiong

Civic Engagement & Service Learning

The F.I.R.M (Fresno Interdenominational Refugee Ministries) has been around for about sixteen years. The F.I.R.M is a diverse and nonprofit organization that works to benefit the lives of immigrants and refugees in Fresno. During its sixteen years in Fresno, the F.I.R.M has established a well-rounded and connected community within its block. They are continuously engaging with the community and the people located around them. With one mindset, they strive to improve and better the life of others while adapting and learning about different culture. Today, the F.I.R.M has grown into a phenomenal ministry that engages in cultural diversity, health care, housing, employment, child development, education, and citizenship.

As a student, I can help and serve this organization by volunteering. One particular skill that I can offer is my ability to speak two languages. Growing up, I was faced with several obstacles, such as having to speak Hmong as a native language prior to English as a second language. The idea of speaking two languages was difficult and hard to process as a kid, thus I often get confused between the two. In addition, in order to improve my English skills I had to undergo various programs for native speaker at school. However, while at home I would be undergoing various teaching and lesson about my culture. Always having to transition between the two languages has always been a challenge and a barrier in my life, but over a period of time, it has given me the ability to understand both languages.

Being able to speak two languages can allow me to converse and communicate with the parents and children at F.I.R.M since majority of them are Hmong. In addition, by volunteering at F.I.R.M, I can help translate for volunteers who cannot speak Hmong or I could help translate for parents who cannot speak English. In doing this, I can help the community and allow for the native parents to communicate with the F.I.R.M leaders and outreach team there. By doing so, it’ll give the immigrant and refugee parents a voice to speak about their concerns or ideas to better improve their lives and their community.

Also, as a former tutor, I’ll be able to help the children and engage with them in their learning. For example, I can help and guide them through their school work, whether it is English or math.  In addition, by being able to speak two languages, it will gives them more comfort and security knowing that they are able to talk and communicate with me in their own native language.

Today I’m continuously using my disadvantage to my advantages. As a native speaker I’m continuously translating and helping out others who can’t speak English. Therefore, by volunteering and participating in this community outreach, I believe that I can contribute my talents and my gifts to their organization because I can relate to a lot of the parents and their cultural heritage. Lastly, I can help the children who are attending school with their homework and on certain English assignment which they don’t understand. Thus, by volunteering at F.I.R.M, I believe that I can offer the organization my skills of speaking two languages.

Example Image

Title of the activity:

Location:

Date and Time,

Summary of the activity:

Your personal reaction: