Reflection

In my BA 179 at Fresno state taught by Professor Ida Jones there are many new things that I have learned from this course so far that I did not know before. Things like legal terms or about case I have never heard about before.  One assignment that we do that I find personally helps me learn a lot is the essay questions we have to answer that were provided on the last two tests.  We are provided 4 different essay questions for each test and have to answer all 4 in details and explain your answer. Even though there are 4 essay questions the teacher only picks two for the test. Knowing that the teacher will only pick 2/4 makes sure you still have to answer all 4 in details because you do not know which one the teacher will pic.  Knowing that is what motivates me to go over the specific question and want to learn everything about the question so that I can answer it correctly. The Learning outcome I have choose to reflect on is number 5 which states: Read case scenarios and apply critical thinking skills to help resolve legal issues; distinguish cases and their issues. The essay question that I feel is related to this learning out comes was question number 3 from exam 1. The questions states:

You are in charge of the Fresno Banditos, a local minor league arena football team whose operations have expanded each year You are now at the point where may need to hire 15-20 employees year-round to manage player contracts, oversee purchase of concessions, review and ensure compliance with league rules and maintain the stadium. Although the team is expanding, you want your team’s operations to continue to fall within the FLSA Amusement and Recreational Exception. Your board is concerned that the expansion might cost them that exception. Write a memo to the board (1) explaining the ruling of Liger v. New Orleans (p. 169) and (2) recommending two actions or policies to keep the team within the exception.

The reason why I think that this can relate to the Learning outcome #5 is because like the learning outcome states after reading the scenario you have to critically think on how to answer the question. It is not a question you can answer quickly without thinking or putting in any effort. After reading the scenario we had to compare it and explain it to the ruling of the Liger vs. New Orleans case which was new to me because I have never heard of that case before. So after finding out what happened in the case we had to compare and explain the ruling of that case. That made me go read more about the case and find out what the final ruling was.  We also had to recommend two actions or policies for the team and I felt like this part of the question covered the help resolve legal issues of the learning outcome.  I felt like this question was a perfect example of using critical thinking skills to help resolve issues, distinguish cases and their issues.

What I learned from this whole assignment is that in the case Liger vs. New Orleans’s some of the employees had worked overtime and wanted the money they deserved working for the New Orleans Hornets which a basketball team is. The Hornets did not want to pay the overtime wages so they took it to courts and the court decide that they did have to pay the wages. I learned about a new case from this question and now had another case that I can remember.  What I also learned from this assignment is how to critically think about questions and put all the information and thoughts I came up with from critically thinking into one. How I plan on using this in the future is from now own I learned how to critically think things out, so if I have another question or problem I can use critically thinking. 

reflection audio.m4a

Reflection 2

In my BA 179 at Fresno state taught by Professor Ida Jones there are many new things that I have learned from this course so far that I did not know before. Things like legal terms or about case I have never heard about before.  I reflected on one assignment that I learned from and now I will reflect on another assignment.  The assignment I am reflecting on now is called an Iccp assignment. Iccp’s are assignment that we do in class with group members that we were assigned. We are giving a question in class and have a specific amount of time to work as a team to figure out the correct answer and why we picked that answer. Iccp have different type of questions , sometimes you can answer your question with an opinions and sometimes you have to find theories or facts to back up an answer.  The Learning outcome I have choose to reflect on is learning outcome number 3 which states: Explain and analyze the legal issues that arise when negotiating player, team and/or league endorsement. The iccp that I have picked that I think that goes well with this learning outcome is ICCP 041112, question Who has the right to sell the Tebow-Jets jersey? Nike or Reebok? NY judge blocks sales of Jets-Tebow apparel.

The reason why I think that this can relate to the Learning outcome #3 is because this learning outcome says explain and analyze the legal issue that rise when negotiation player, team and or league endorsement.  After reading the whole case there was many problems to this whole scenario. Nike has a five-year contract to be the NFL's exclusive provider of on-field apparel, including game uniforms and sideline apparel and this count as a league endorsement contract.  I felt like this was a perfect example of league endorsement because Nike is a league endorsement for the National Football league and Rebook was a endorsment for the NFL and there was a legal issue that rised toward the end of their contract. 

After reviewing the whole situation between Reebok and Nike I learned many things.  Tim Tebow is a superstar and has a wide range of fans. His jersey is actually one of the top selling jerseys. Tim tebow had just now been traded to the New York Jets from the Denver broncos. Before Nike became the providers of jersey for the NFL Reebok was the provider for jerseys and their contract was going to be over at the end of the month of April. Rebook attempted to sell some of Tim Tebow jersey from his new team  before their contract ended and Nike claimed that Reebok rushed to market with Tebow apparel to take advantage of a "unique and short-lived opportunity." Nike also said Reebok was required to get Tebow's permission if it intended to hurry out shipments of Jets-Tebow apparel after he was traded.  As a group we did some thinking and we came to the final decision that trademark dilution is something that can rise from legal issues and that would be a good argument for the Nike uniforms since they look similar to the Reebok uniforms and they would dilute the market for Nike uniforms.  When shopping at the store and they have both jerseys together if you don’t see the Reebok or Nike symbols then you don’t know which brand you are buying.  This causes the Nike profits to dip if the customer buys a Reebok jersey.  When it all came down to it we decided also that there were many things that either company could have done in order to gain a competitive advantage in the case of jersey sales between Nike and Reebok. Reebok could have clarified in the original signing of the contract that if any player transactions were completed during the grace period of March 1-March 31 that they were able to produce those jerseys since they still had selling power up until the April 1st deadline. Nike on the other hand, no has an advantage because they can attempt to restructure their contract in order for them to make the mistake that reebok did in this situation.

I never heard of a problem like this happening before so it actually interested me. Another thing I learned was about trade dilution. Before this assignment I had no idea what trademark dilution was and now I have the knowledge and what that is. Another thing I learned is that no matter what you should expect anything and always have some type of backup plan. Reebok knew that their contract was coming to an end, but had no idea that Tim Tebow would be traded. Tim Tebow being trade was out of their hand, but I learned even though something might be out of your hands you should still have a backup plan just in case things like this happen. In reebok contract they should have tried a way to include that if a player is traded they should still be able to sell that person jersey on their new team until their contract comes to an ends.

What I learned from this for the future is that if I have my own business or even if I do not have my own business and I a contract with someone I will try and think of anything possible to add in the contract so that there are no problems when it comes to the end. Think of things that can happen and add it in the contract so that I do not have to lose any money when the contract comes to an end or is close to coming to an end.  It also taught me to have a backup plan.